Ask to Expert

Ask to Expert...

Fact & Figures

Who suffer a hip fracture will die within the following year

Men 37%
Women 28%

Fracture Caused by Osteoporosis

patients only offered Screening & Treatment Post-fracture. 20%
more common then Heart attack Stroke Breast Cancer combined. 35%

About Calcium & Bone

Our bone is a calcium reservoir and release calcium when our body needs. Therefore, calcium must be stored in our bones for maintaining health and strong bone.

99% of total calcium is found in our bones and the remaining 1% can be found in our blood and soft tissues. Serum calcium is composed of 40% of calcium binding protein, 10% of inorganic calcium, and 50% of ionized calcium.

However, only ionized calcium can be absorbed in our bones by stimulating hormones which trigger the activity of osteoblast (bone making) cells. Even though calcium binding protein and inorganic calcium are usually eliminated by excretion, the remaining can be accumulated in blood or organs and causes serious medical conditions such as kidney stone and vascular calcification. Thus, calcium should be ionized before it is stored in our bones. When blood ph increases, calcium is ionized. After that, TH helps ionized calcium be deposited in our bones by stimulating the activity of osteoblast cells.

Mega 100 helps our body raise blood ph and participates in the process of ionization of calcium. After calcium is ionized, Mega 100 supports TH to store calcium ions in our bones.

Calcium is an important mineral in our body. Calcium plays significant roles in not only in bones metabolism but also in cell signaling, muscle contractions and nerve function. Thus, disturbance of calcium homeostasis triggers severe diseases such as cancer, osteoporosis and Alzheimer disease.

In addition, our body cannot produce calcium so it is important to get enough calcium through diet or supplements. However, high calcium intake may develop serious side effects such as kidney damages and vascular calcification. Therefore, it is important to maintain adequate levels of ionized calcium in the blood for optimal bone health.

Disruption of calcium homeostasis leads to serious diseases such as Alzheimer disease and osteoporosis.

Our bones are continuously reshaped throughout the lifespan and this process is called “bone metabolism” or “bone remodelling” which involves 2 processes- bone formation and bone resorption.

Bone formation process is more active in childhood so children are in positive bone balance.

Young adults are in neutral bone balance and have achieved peak bone mass.

However, after 40 years old, the balance between bone formation and bone resorption becomes negative.

The numbers and activities of osteoblast cells are decreased relative to bone resorption. It results in decease of bone mass.

About Osteoporosis

Broshure_Image _ Diagram-04According to Osteoporosis Canada, fractures from osteoporosis are common than heart attack, stroke and breast cancer combined. Moreover, the prevalence of osteoporosis is continuing to escalate with the increasingly elderly population. Osteoporosis is a progressive bone disease characterized by low bone density which leads to high risk of fracture and bone fragility. As we get older, bone resorption process is more active than formation process. Thus, it results in bone loss which gradually leads to osteoporosis.

slider_Img_samll_13

  • Exercise(Recommend weight-bearing exercises such as dancing, hiking, jogging and tennis) at least 30 minutes a day
  • Get enough Calcium and Vitamin D every day through diet or supplements
  • Abstinence from smoking and drinking

Current osteoporosis medications mainly focus on slowing down bone loss and reducing fractures rather than increasing in bone mineral density.  Moreover, they increase bone mineral density by 1~2.5% per year and by 6~13% for 10 years and there are many possible long-term side effects such as esophageal ulcer and kidney dysfunction if they take the medications for a long time. Therefore, patients with osteoporosis are usually required to discontinue their medications for a certain period of time.

Calcium supplement pills

Osteoporosis and Alzheimer

Both osteoporosis and Alzheimer diseases are aging associated diseases and both occur usually in seniors. According to recent scientific research, senior women who have low bone density are more than twice likely to develop Alzheimer disease. It indicates that Alzheimer disease is closely linked to osteoporosis, however, the mechanisms underlying this are unknown. The current studies suggest that deregulation of calcium-meditated signalling may trigger Alzheimer disease.

 

shutterstock_98508803 shutterstock_140613973